THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN PERFORMING WITH GCT!
Our theatre welcomes all performers of all ages and experience levels. The audition can be a great experience to get to know others with similar passions to yours and get some good experience… and maybe be cast in your first show! Our audition process is often very fun and informal. Our rehearsals are usually Mon-Thurs evenings, and our performances are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
More audition information will also be posted on our GCT AUDITIONS! Facebook page.
GOLDEN CHAIN THEATRE
42130 HWY 41
Believe In Christmas
Auditions Sept 18 2021, 10am
Directed By: James Mierkey
Rehearsals: Sept 27 – Dec 2
Performances: Dec 3 – 19
Are you needing a bit of holiday cheer? Want to spread some good will toward men? Looking to make this Christmas an amazing experience for your whole family?
AUDITIONS FOR BELIEVE IN CHRISTMAS VARIETY SHOW at GCT will be held SAT SEPT 18 at 10am!
This amazing and warm-hearted show is always a holiday favorite and is an important part of the season for many local families in our beautiful community.
Prepare a short song with a track, and come share it with us in a casual, friendly environment.
Traditional and secular carols, solos and group singing, skits and readings. Something for everyone! No experience necessary. All ages welcome, entire families encouraged.
Come join our theatre family!
Let’s make our mountain Christmas very very merry!
The Cafe Mocha Murders
Auditions: Sat Jan 15 2022, 10am
Directed By: Special Guest Director and Dramaturg
Rehearsals: 1/24 – 3/24
Performances: 3/25 – 4/10
- Soma: Female, Loud, a bit abrasive, likes to shout. She’s a veteran barista at The Bean Shack and is good at her job but doesn’t like to get bogged down by the rules.
- Ian: Male, Sweet and naïve. He’s the newest employee and still learning the ropes.
- Neil: Male, A regular at The Bean Shack.
- Beverly: Female, Your typical sweet Midwestern lady. A regular at The Bean Shack.
- Cathi: Female, The owner of The Bean Shack. An excellent mind for business but not always for people.
- Ivy: Female, Another seasoned veteran barista. Very prim. Adheres ardently to the rules and expects others to do so. She doesn’t let her emotions get to her.
- Ben: Male, Another barista. A bit of a buffoon. Madly in love with Mel and doesn’t hide it very well.
- Mel: Female, Another barista. Apparently oblivious to Ben’s feelings.
- Eddie: Male, A pizza delivery guy who stumbled into the wrong place at the wrong time.
Shrek The Musical
Auditions: Sat, Jan 29, 10am
Directed By: Michael Van Buren
Rehearsals: 2/7 – 5/5
Performances: 5/6 – 6/12
- Shrek, Adult – Male High Baritone/Tenor
- Fiona, Adult – Female Alto/Soprano with high belt
- Donkey, Adult – Male/Female High Baritone/Tenor or Alto with high belt
- Lord Farquaad, Adult – Male High Baritone
- Dragon, Adult – Female Alto with Big Belt
- Pinocchio, Adult – Male/Female Male with good falsetto voice or Soprano/Alto
FAIRYTALE CREATURES (15)
- Wicked Witch, Adult
- White Rabbit, Youth/Adult
- Fairy Godmother, Adult
- Peter Pan, Youth/Adult
- Ugly Duckling, Youth/Adult
- Sugar Plum Fairy, Youth/Adult
- 3 Pigs, Man/Woman – ability to sing harmony
- 3 Bears, Man/Woman/Youth
- Wolf, Adult
- Humpty Dumpty, Youth/Adult
- Mad Hatter, Youth/Adult
- Young Shrek – Youth Male
- Dwarf (Grumpy) – Youth Male
- Young Fiona – Youth Female
- Teen Fiona – Youth Female
- Gingy – Youth/Adult, Male/Female
- Mama Ogre, Adult – Female Soprano/Alto
- Papa Ogre, Adult – Male High Baritone
- Thelonius, Captain of the Guard – Adult, Male
- Bluebird – Youth/Adult
- Bishop – Adult, Male
- Farquaad’s Guards – Youth/Adult
- Lead Duloc Greeter (Adult, female) and
- Duloc Dancers (Youth/Adult)
- Forest Creatures
- Sign Bearers
- 4 Knights (back-up singers) – Adult, Male
- Pied Piper – Youth/Adult
- Dancing Rats, Youth/Adult – Male/Female capable dancers
- King Harold – Adult, Male
- Queen Lillian – Adult, Female
- 3 Blind Mice, Youth/Adult – Female – ability to sing harmony
- Puss in Boots
Principle Roles: Shrek, Adult Fiona, Donkey, Lord Farquaad, Pinocchio, Dragon .. exceptions for Gingy*
If you are auditioning for one of the Principle Roles, choose one of their solo songs to audition with. You will sing with karaoke tracks as your accompaniment.
*Gingy has specific vocal and character needs and will be auditioned as such – but will have multiple roles as a member of the ensemble.
Ensemble: The majority of the cast falls into this category. Expect that you may have up to 3 roles, including Fairytale Creature (detailed list below).
If you are auditioning for the Ensemble, please plan on singing “What’s Up, Duloc?” or “Freak Flag”. Since we are casting so many Fairytale Creatures and fun voices are key, please plan on being prepared to show-off your character voices. If you do not know any of the songs from SHREK, “Happy Birthday” will be an acceptable alternative and accompaniment will be provided.
In addition to singing, auditions will include learning a short dance routine and some line readings.
Someone Save My Baby, Ruth! (Or Foil That Villain!)
Auditions: Sat Apr 23, 10 Am
Directed By: TBA
Rehearsals: 5/2 – 6/30
Perfomances: 7/1 – 7/24
This Cast Willl Be Asked To Also Perform At The Sugar Pine Railroad For Three Special Outdoor, Evening Performances On 6/5, 7/3, And 8/7.
- TAFFY, a sales clerk at The Sweet Shoppe
- TOFFEE, another sales clerk at The Sweet Shoppe
- HUBERT, a customer
- TOM, another customer
- MRS. MURPHY, yet another customer
- KAT, her child
- KIT, Kat’s best friend
- MRS. POPPYCOCK, still another customer
- LOLLY, her child
- PRALINE CANDY, a sweet young widow, with infant
- FARRON HEIT, a candy cook
- CINDY GRADE, another candy cook
- OTTO SOURBALL, a dashing lackey
- SID SWINDLE, a villain
- ERNEST NOBLE, a policeman
Auditions will consist of a cold read of the script.
Auditions: Sat June 25, 10am
Directed By: Jennifer Janine
Rehearsals: 7/5 – 9/1
Performances: 9/2 – 9/25
- HENRIETTA LEAVITT: brilliant, meticulous, excited – almost always wearing a period hearing-aid.
- MARGARET LEAVITT: homebody, creative, sweet, sister.
- PETER SHAW: the head astronomer’s apprentice… and the man.
- ANNIE CANNON: the leader, terse and sure, grows into a firebrand.
- WILLIAMENA FLEMING: vivacious, friendly, fun and speaks with a Scottish accent
The Sound Of Music
Auditions: Sat Jul 23, 10am
Directed By: James Mierkey
Rehearsals: 8/8 – 11/3
Performances: 11/4 – 12/18
Please prepare a short song selection of no more than one complete verse. Backing track is preferred.
Please bring with you a full set of conflicts as this will help us determine casting. Tentative rehearsal schedule is Monday thru Thursday evenings with some additional Saturday dates TBD. Given that the production has so many children under 18, it will be our goal to have the children dismissed as early as possible. The closer we get to show week, the longer they will be required to be there.
LEAD ADULT CHARACTERS:
- Maria Rainer (musical theatre mix/soprano, dance, 20-35) A postulant at Nonnberg Abbey – young, free spirited, warm, gentle and kind with much determination.
- Captain Georg von Trapp (baritone, moves well, 35-45) A retired Austrian naval captain. Polished, yet very military in the way he runs his life to repress his sadness over the death of his wife; underneath, he is warm, understanding, and determined.
- Max Detweiller (tenor/baritone, moves well, 30+) Charming and vital; a man of sophistication who enjoys the good life; true and loyal friend to the von Trapp family.
- Baroness Elsa Schrader (mezzo soprano, moves well, 35-45) A baroness of taste and elegance, sophisticated, dignified and mature.
- Mother Abbess (wide vocal range, 40+, very strong actress) Motherly, understanding, strong and authoritative, but kind.
- Sister Berthe (alto, moves well) Mistress of Novices, prudish, straight-laced with a quick tongue, she is less tolerant than other nuns.
- Sister Margaretta (mezzo, moves well) Mistress of Postulants, very kind, understanding and concerned.
- Sister Sophia (soprano, moves well) Neither demanding nor critical, sticks with the rules.
- Franz (non-singing, 30+) The von Trapp butler, rather formal but not without spirit, he is very German and loyal to the Fascist cause.
- Frau Schmidt (non-singing, 30+) The housekeeper, stoic, very little personality; she does her job efficiently but without affection. Strong and somewhat dominating.
- Herr Zeller (non-singing, 40+) Stern and unsmiling, a typical Nazi official whose primary concern is to see that everyone toes the line.
- Rolf Gruber (tenor, dance, 17) Suitor to Liesl, telegram delivery boy, later Nazi soldier. A very pleasant young man, somewhat aggressive but in a gentle way.
LEAD CHILDREN’S ROLES:
All children, apart from their character description must be able to be conservative with their emotions and “serious.”
- Liesl von Trapp (mezzo, dance, 16) The oldest child, blossoming into a young lady with an interest in boys. She has a maternal edge to her and cares very deeply for her younger siblings.
- Friedrich von Trapp (age 14) Tough exterior, very much trying to be “the man” of the family.
- Louisa von Trapp (age 13) Rebellious attitude.
- Kurt von Trapp (age 10, falsetto) Gentle and mischievous.
- Brigitta von Trapp (age 9) Smart, reads a lot.
- Marta von Trapp (age 7) Very sweet and gentle.
- Gretl von Trapp (age 6) Must have the cute factor.
- 5-10 male chorus members (16-60+ years) – Nazi soldiers, neighbors, Salzburg citizens and Georg’s friends (of naval background).
- 5-10 female chorus members (16-60+ years) – Salzburg citizens, new postulant, nuns, novices, postulants and contestants in the Festival Concert