THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN PERFORMING WITH GCT!
Our theatre welcomes all performers of all ages and experience levels. The audition can be a great experience to get to know others with similar passions to yours and get some good experience… and maybe be cast in your first show! Our audition process is often very fun and informal. Our rehearsals are usually Mon-Thurs evenings, and our performances are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
More audition information will also be posted on our GCT AUDITIONS! Facebook page.
GOLDEN CHAIN THEATRE
42130 HWY 41
Auditions: Saturday June 25 2022, 10:00am
Directed By: Jennifer Janine
Rehearsals: 7/5 – 9/1
Performances: 9/2 – 9/25
- HENRIETTA LEAVITT: brilliant, meticulous, excited – almost always wearing a period hearing-aid.
- MARGARET LEAVITT: homebody, creative, sweet, sister.
- PETER SHAW: the head astronomer’s apprentice… and the man.
- ANNIE CANNON: the leader, terse and sure, grows into a firebrand.
- WILLIAMENA FLEMING: vivacious, friendly, fun and speaks with a Scottish accent
The Sound Of Music
Auditions: Saturday July 23 2022, 10am
Directed By: James Mierkey
Rehearsals: 8/8 – 11/3
Performances: 11/4 – 12/18
Please prepare a short song selection of no more than one complete verse. Backing track is preferred.
Please bring with you a full set of conflicts as this will help us determine casting. Tentative rehearsal schedule is Monday thru Thursday evenings with some additional Saturday dates TBD. Given that the production has so many children under 18, it will be our goal to have the children dismissed as early as possible. The closer we get to show week, the longer they will be required to be there.
LEAD ADULT CHARACTERS:
- Maria Rainer (musical theatre mix/soprano, dance, 20-35) A postulant at Nonnberg Abbey – young, free spirited, warm, gentle and kind with much determination.
- Captain Georg von Trapp (baritone, moves well, 35-45) A retired Austrian naval captain. Polished, yet very military in the way he runs his life to repress his sadness over the death of his wife; underneath, he is warm, understanding, and determined.
- Max Detweiller (tenor/baritone, moves well, 30+) Charming and vital; a man of sophistication who enjoys the good life; true and loyal friend to the von Trapp family.
- Baroness Elsa Schrader (mezzo soprano, moves well, 35-45) A baroness of taste and elegance, sophisticated, dignified and mature.
- Mother Abbess (wide vocal range, 40+, very strong actress) Motherly, understanding, strong and authoritative, but kind.
- Sister Berthe (alto, moves well) Mistress of Novices, prudish, straight-laced with a quick tongue, she is less tolerant than other nuns.
- Sister Margaretta (mezzo, moves well) Mistress of Postulants, very kind, understanding and concerned.
- Sister Sophia (soprano, moves well) Neither demanding nor critical, sticks with the rules.
- Franz (non-singing, 30+) The von Trapp butler, rather formal but not without spirit, he is very German and loyal to the Fascist cause.
- Frau Schmidt (non-singing, 30+) The housekeeper, stoic, very little personality; she does her job efficiently but without affection. Strong and somewhat dominating.
- Herr Zeller (non-singing, 40+) Stern and unsmiling, a typical Nazi official whose primary concern is to see that everyone toes the line.
- Rolf Gruber (tenor, dance, 17) Suitor to Liesl, telegram delivery boy, later Nazi soldier. A very pleasant young man, somewhat aggressive but in a gentle way.
LEAD CHILDREN’S ROLES:
All children, apart from their character description must be able to be conservative with their emotions and “serious.”
- Liesl von Trapp (mezzo, dance, 16) The oldest child, blossoming into a young lady with an interest in boys. She has a maternal edge to her and cares very deeply for her younger siblings.
- Friedrich von Trapp (age 14) Tough exterior, very much trying to be “the man” of the family.
- Louisa von Trapp (age 13) Rebellious attitude.
- Kurt von Trapp (age 10, falsetto) Gentle and mischievous.
- Brigitta von Trapp (age 9) Smart, reads a lot.
- Marta von Trapp (age 7) Very sweet and gentle.
- Gretl von Trapp (age 6) Must have the cute factor.
- 5-10 male chorus members (16-60+ years) – Nazi soldiers, neighbors, Salzburg citizens and Georg’s friends (of naval background).
- 5-10 female chorus members (16-60+ years) – Salzburg citizens, new postulant, nuns, novices, postulants and contestants in the Festival Concert